advanced cholesterol profile
The concept of "good" and "bad" cholesterol depends highly on the circumstances of the individual person. Although very high blood serum cholesterol values are associated with heart disease, low values are associated with increased violent behavior, suicide, depression, anxiety, bipolar disease, Parkinson's disease, and increased mortality from cancer. Low cholesterol values are also associated with manganese deficiency, celiac disease, hyperthyroidism, liver disease, malabsorption, and malnutrition.
The Great Plains Laboratory offers the Advanced Cholesterol Profile to detect if a cholesterol deficiency is present or if levels are elevated. This profile also determines risk factors for vascular disease and/or neurological disease.
Depending on test results, follow-up may include:
- Dietary modification
- Follow-up/Confirmational testing
Serum: 4 mL of serum in 2 gold-topped SST or in 2 royal blue-topped no additive tubes
THIS TEST IS ALSO KNOWN AS:
- PERFIL AVANZADO COLESTEROL
تحليل الكوليسترول المتقدم
- PROFIL DE CHOLESTÉROL AVANCÉE
PROFILO DEL COLESTEROLO AVANZATA
고급 콜레스테롤 프로필
ZAAWANSOWANY PROFIL CHOLESTEROLU
- PERFIL AVANÇADO COLESTEROL
GELIŞMIŞ KOLESTEROL PROFILI
- E Tierney, I Bukelis, R Thompson, K Ahmed, A Aneja, L Kratz, and R Kelley Abnormalities of Cholesterol Metabolism in Autism Spectrum Disorders. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B (Neuropsychiatric Genetics) 141B:666–668. 2006
- Tierney E, Nwokoro NA, Kelley RI Behavioral phenotype of RSH/Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome. Ment Retard Dev Disabil Res Rev 2000;6(2):131-4
- Modai I et al. Serum cholesterol levels and suicidal tendencies in psychiatric inpatients. J Clin Psychiatry. 1994 Jun;55(6):252
- Cassidy F, Carroll BJ. Hypocholesterolemia during mixed manic episodes. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2002 Jun;252(3):110-4.
- Glueck CJ, et al Hypocholesterolemia, hypertriglyceridemia, suicide, and suicide ideation in children hospitalized for psychiatric diseases. Pediatr Res. 1994 May;35(5):602-10.
- Jeong Juhee, McMahon Andrew. Cholesterol modification of hedgehog family proteins. J. Clin. Invest. 110:591-596. 2002
- Perez-Guzman C, Vargas, MH, Quinonez, F, et al. A cholesterol-rich diet accelerates bacteriologic sterilization in pulmonary tuberculosis. Chest 2005; 127: 643-651.
- Sikora DM, Pettit-Kekel K, Penfield J, Merkens LS, Steiner RD. The near universal presence of autism spectrum disorders in children with Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome. Am J Med Genet A. 2006 Jul 15;140(14):1511-8.